Thursday, March 5, 2015

WILD BOAR ROAST

 Okay, this was not as good as I had hoped for but that is my fault for not going with my gut on this one.  The flavor was great but it was tough.  I put it in the oven at 400 degrees and I thought that was too hot - it was!  I would have been better off low and slow on this one.  On a positive note, the leftover meat went back in the dutch oven and simmered for another two hours...tender and ready for stew on another night.
Okay here is where we start, first up is putting garlic cloves in the roast.  I take a paring knife and put a slit in the roast and stuff a lovely garlic clove in the pocket.  Repeat until you have 12 pieces of garlic studding your roast.

You can see some of garlic cloves sticking out of the roast.  Salt and pepper the roast and put in a dutch oven with olive oil that has been heated to smoking hot.
I did take the liberty to chop the carrots and celery earlier in the afternoon.  I now chopped the onions into large 1" chunks and peeled and sliced the apple.  After browning the roast I take it out and throw all the veg and apples in and turn down the heat a bit so it doesn't burn.  
While the veg sweats, I added two sprigs of rosemary to the roast.
I also got out all of the red wine and stock that I needed.
Yes there was a glass of wine for the cook.  I used two cups of Zinfandel and 3/4 cup of both beef stock and chicken stock.
When the veg was cooked down, I added the liquid and then the roast went back in.

It now went into the oven, again it should have been low and slow, 275 for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours not the 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
I added smashed potatoes with butter and parsley on the side.  I don't always succeed but at least I was able to salvage the leftovers and will have a good meal another night.  Eat Well Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS