Tuesday, July 7, 2015

FRENCH ONION SOUP

 

French onion soup is one of my all time favorites.

Okay so the first thing is onions...it is called French Onion soup for a reason, haha.

I use two large white sweet onions cut into thin half moons.  I then place them in my Le Creuset enameled pot with some butter and olive oil and a bay leaf or two, some thyme from the garden.  I caramelize the onions, it takes quite a while to caramelize 45-60 minutes for me usually.


They finish with a beautiful golden color.

While the onions are cooking down I took a couple of pieces of stale bread, cut it in chunks, tossed with some olive oil and thew it in a hot, 425-450 oven and let it toast.






Now for the liquids to add to the onions.



I use 1 cup of red wine, 2T of cognac, 2 cups of homemade chicken stock and 2 cups of beef broth.  I like the combination of the rich chicken stock and beef broth. Add the liquids to the pot and simmer for about 15-30 minutes.


Now for the good stuff, place the onion soup in ramekins and top with the croutons.

 
Place some provolone or Gruyere cheese on top and put under the broiler until bubbly and browned.
 


 


I made this in March, and now I'm craving some French Onion soup again. Hmmm, I have everything except the red wine.  I think it's time for more.  Eat Well Friends! 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS