Sunday, February 22, 2015

Celebrating the Chinese New Year

 I love when I can cook something out of the ordinary, but this wasn't it..LOL.  I make fried rice every now and then to use up leftovers. I decided that for the Chinese New Year last Thursday I would use up some of the leftover pork roast.

I did take a shortcut with the appetizer and got frozen egg rolls that I popped in the oven.

I started early in the day by making the rice so that it had time to cool.
Once it finished cooking in the rice cooker I put it on a baking sheet to cool and separate the rice grains.

Next came the veggies.  




 I thawed some peas in a strainer in the sink and chopped everything else, except the carrots - I used pre-shredded carrots.  I kept the mushrooms large because the hubs doesn't like them so I left them big enough for him to pick out.  Once chopped I set them aside.


Now for the roast, I chopped it into bite sized pieces and then minced the garlic and grated the ginger root.  


In the end I added about half of the ginger that I have in the picture.
Next I got everything together before mixing the eggs as once you start cooking it goes quickly.
Some of the liquids included sesame oil, fish sauce and soy sauce.  When I reheated the leftovers last night I did add more soy and some hoisin.

Lastly I scrambled two eggs.

The actual making of the fried rice is quick and easy.  Start by heating a wok or deep pan over medium low heat, add the eggs and cook gently until they are cooked through.  Take them out of the pan and chop into bite sized pieces.


I raised the heat and added the veggies, letting them cook for 3-4 minutes.  Then added the roast pieces, rice, ginger and garlic and stir fried for a couple more minutes.  Lastly I added a couple of dashes of sesame oil, fish sauce and approximately 1/4 cup of light sodium soy.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS