Friday, February 6, 2015

Meatball Remix

For Super Bowl Sunday I made mozzarella stuffed meatball subs!  I bought a Rachael Ray Cookbook years ago as I loved the concept of a 30 minute meal. I have used many recipes out of that book but none more that the "Super Sub Balls".  I make regular meatballs and stuff them with mozzarella, provolone, Gruyere, cheddar and more! I use Italian sausage with different cheeses...cheeses, sauces, bread, meat...OH the possibilities are endless!  Oh and you can use homemade sauce or bottled!! Or a mix!  Did I say the possibilities were endless on this?!?!?!
This is the pot of meatballs and sauce simmering to hot, yummy goodness!
Notice the bottled sauce in the background!  I did have to supplement a bit!  I have no problem with that, I did have some of the homemade sauce in the freezer but...easy and quick was better after rearranging and cleaning the kitchen...pics later!
So to make the meatballs...get your meat, Italian sausage, meatball mix or whatever.  Decide how big you want you meatballs, I opted for bigger is better even if I have to cut them in half for the subs!  I made large golf balls, then make a "divot" in the meatball and placed the cheese(bocconcini fresh mozzarella for me) in the divot and then formed the meat around the cheese.  Place on an oven sheet in a 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes (maybe more on your meatball size...mine were 25-30), flip them once half way through the cook time.  Yes you may get a crispier crust on a side or two frying in a pan but your overall meatball texture is better in the oven IMHO.  And there is less fat.

So getting on with things..I had left over sub buns from Sunday....time to make garlic cheese toast.
  • Three cloves of garlic
  • One LARGE basil leaf
  • Parsley
  • One stick of butter
Start with putting the garlic cloves in the food processor (I use the small bowl) add the basil and parsley, the amount is your choice ( I used one large(very large) leaf of basil) and about a 1/4 cup of parsley.  Combine in the food processor and then add the softened butter.  Transfer to a holding container...take a butter knife and spread on each half.
You can then cover the bread with fresh mozzarella or shredded as I did, fresh is awesome but shredded is really good too!  Place in a 450 oven for 10-15 minutes.

Here is the spaghetti and meatball dinner with garlic cheese toast.




Add we still have some left overs...okay do the leftovers ever leave a party of one or two??? This is what I hope to find out in the future!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS