Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Pork Green Chile Smothered Burritos

 

This is for all of my friends and former co-workers in Jefferson County!
I love burritos with pork green chile but there are very few places back east that know what salsa verde or pork green chile is let alone have it on the menu.  My friends in the Southwest have the ability to find this delicacy in almost ever restaurant or even in the store.  If you can't find fresh made there is the convenient Stokes Green Chile in a can, again not available on the east coast.  I have made this recipe for years using Stokes when I was in Colorado, since I'm now in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia I have had to find an on line recipe.


The top pot is mild and the bottom pic is hot.
Here is the link to the best green chile recipe I've found so far:
Chile Verde 
If you can find or order Hatches green chiles it is SOOO worth it.
I unfortunately didn't have any so I had to use poblano and it doesn't taste quite the same as the Hatches.

Now on to the burritos...
  • Ground Beef
  • Spices (or spice packet)  

 This is one of the spice packets you can find in most grocery stores.  I don't tend to use these as they add salt and sugar.  After I brown the beef I add a couple of tablespoons of flour, spices - usually ground cumin, chili powder, granulated onions and garlic and some chipotle powder.  Then I add some beef broth and simmer.
While the beef simmers I mix and heat refried beans and cheese.  Then it's time to assemble the burritos.  Heat the flour tortillas in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, just to warm and make it easier to roll.  Place a couple of tablespoons of bean on the tortilla, top with a couple of tablespoons of meat and a little more cheese.  Fold the sides of the burrito in, fold the tortilla end closest to you half way up and roll to secure and place in pan. Continue rolling until all the burritos are folded. If you are using all the same heat level in your green chile you can use the same pan of all of your burrito, if using different heat levels use different pans so you don't blow the head off of your loved one that can't take the heat...that would be the hubs!  

Once you have the burritos rolled cover generously with the pork green chile and cover with cheese. 



Clear pan, mild.  Blue pan, hot.



  Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 until hot and bubbly.


This is the fixings bar that I set up, homemade salsa and guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and olives.


In all their adorned glory!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS