Monday, February 16, 2015

Croissant Cinnamon Pecan Sticky Rolls

So as a challenge to myself I decided to make my sticky rolls but with croissant dough.  I have never made croissant dough before and was quick to think that I could do this in one day...WRONG!  Making croissant dough is a two day project at best.  I will also let everyone know that if you are counting calories, watching fat grams or otherwise concerned about eating healthy please look elsewhere, this is not healthy by any means.

I decided to use a recipe from The Food Network for the croissants.  
You can find the recipe here:
I started with the yeast, sugar and warm milk, the milk should be about 105-115 degrees, 45-60 seconds in the microwave. 



Next up entailed getting the stand mixer out, which sent the beagle upstairs and under the bed.  First in was the flour, you can see BJ checking out all the commotion in the kitchen.  He always comes running when I start cooking because he thinks he's going to get a treat, sorry buddy not this time.

 The yeast has now proofed and is bubbly and smells heavenly!

Mix the wet into the dry on low/stir and then bump up to medium high and let got for about 4 minutes.  The dough seemed dry at this point but I kept on going hoping that I would end up with an edible roll.

I let the dough rest for about 15 minutes under a damp towel and then rolled out to 10x9 and chilled for one hour in the refrigerator.



The insanity now begins!  I need to take 4 sticks, yes a pound of butter ~ Paula would be so proud, and turn it into a 6x8 1/2 "slab" of butter (the measurements are approximate).  I started by cutting the sticks of butter longwise into thirds.  If you have a french rolling pin this will work better.  Start slowly and then you can start to whack at with a little heavier hand.







And the upper body workout now commences.  Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out to 10x15.  Place the butter in the middle and fold the around the butter, pressing the dough together so it has contact with  all the layers.  Roll out to 10x15 and refrigerate for one hour.



After an hour I brought the dough back out and folded into thirds, like a pamphlet.  I then rolled it out to 10x15, if any of the butter popped through the dough I dusted it with flour.  It went back in the refrigerator for another hour.  I did this 4 more times...my arms REALLY hurt now, not that I have any carpal tunnel issues from my years in 9-1-1. HA
After all of the rolling the dough had transformed from that heavy, dry lump I started with to what I would describe as soft and silky.  After the last roll I placed the rectangle in the refrigerator over night.  In the morning, okay early afternoon I too the dough out and began the transformation to sticky rolls!

The beautiful dough before its last roll out.  

I rolled the dough to 15x30...this makes lovely, 2" rolls before the last rising.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Once rolled out I slathered the dough with a stick, yes another stick, of butter.  

I then sprinkled the butter with 3/4 Cup of granulated sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon.

And then 1 Cup of chopped pecans.

Now to roll the buns, make sure that it is rolled tightly.  
Cut the roll in half, then each half in half, leaving you with 4 pieces.  Cut each quarter in thirds!
Now for the sticky bun magic....in a small sauce pan add one stick of butter, YES that is 6 total, 3/4 Cup of brown sugar and 1/3 - 1/2 Cup of corn syrup.  Melt the butter and make sure the brown sugar is dissolved and then place in a 9x13 pan and cover with 1 -1 1/2 Cups of chopped pecans.


Place the cut rolls on top of the goo, leaving room for the rolls to rise.  Place in a warm place in the kitchen.  If you had a day like I did today...didn't get out of the 20's I started to preheat the oven and as the oven got warm but not hot I turned the oven off and placed the rolls in the oven.

After 45-60 minutes they are ready to be baked.  I take them out of the oven and preheat to 375 and bake for 25-30 minutes.

The rolls come out brown, fluffy and gorgeous, immediately flip them onto serving platter or in my case a bar pan slightly larger than my 9x13.


Now since I went a little crazy on the "sticky goo"  and the dough is light they do deflate and condense a bit from the weight of the goo.  But it's not a sticky bun without the goo!!  The hubs and I enjoyed them along side breakfast for dinner.  Also shared them with a neighbor who enjoyed them immensely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS