Friday, February 27, 2015

SPAGHETTI WITH MONSTER MEATBALLS

As we were to get snow, albeit only a dusting, I decided to serve a nice pasta dinner.  

First I made the meatballs.  These are a variation of my usual meatballs:

  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, small diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic diced
  • 1 C fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 C Panko
  • 1/4 C fresh chopped parsley
  • 1/2 C Parmesan grated
  • 5 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
  • a shake of red pepper (or more if you like)
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste  

I took half of the mixture and froze it, I can use it for meat sauce, subs, lasagne, stuffed shells...endless possibilities.  The other half I scored into fourths and made two meatballs from each fourth.  Yes they are big, massive, monster meatballs but not the biggest out there!  I put them on a lined baking sheet and put them in the oven for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.   I turned them over and baked for another 10-25 minutes.  

I then took four of them and placed them in my homemade sauce.  
Saute 2-3 cloves of garlic with a pinch of red pepper in some olive oil, add a 28 oz can of chopped or pureed tomatoes, I used chopped and then used my immersion blender before adding the meatballs.  Add on 8 oz can of tomato sauce and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.  On a side note - how great is the tomato paste in a tube?!?!?  I love not having to waste 3/4 of a can of tomato paste to get 2 T of tomato paste.  Add 1/4 C of chopped fresh basil, 2 t dried oregano and 2 T chopped fresh parsley.  Combine and simmer for at least 20 minutes and then add the meatballs.
  

I used a "store" brand of whole wheat pasta, not the best so I will go back to a national brand.  Topped it with two meatballs and sauce, and for me a bit more Parmesan.


Eat well my friends!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments, please share! EAT WELL FRIENDS